- Knee pain is a common joint concern that afflicts many adults.
- It can be caused by trauma, repetitive strain, aging, or arthritis, all of which can lead to pain and inflammation.
- The best way to prevent knee pain is to prevent it by strengthening your knees with exercise and a good diet.
- You can try stretching, strengthening exercises, physiotherapy, rest and icing, and massage to reduce knee pain.
- These techniques, when followed diligently, can relieve your knee pain without any surgery.
- Additionally, joint supplements can improve your bone strength and keep knee pain at bay, offering healthier knees in the long run.
Our knees are arguably the most important joints of our body that bear our weight as we walk, skip, and run. Understandably, they are also highly prone to injury, wear and tear, and chronic pain. Knee pain is quite common among adults around the globe. It may start as a mild irritation but can become a hurdle as it intensifies over the years. Hence, it is crucial to address the root cause and treat knee pain at the earliest.
From top-rated joint pain supplements to exercises and surgery, you may hear about several tips to cure knee pain. However, not all solutions deliver the same results, and you need to pick the right ones carefully. Therefore, understanding the reason behind your knee pain is a must before you narrow down your treatment options.
What Causes Knee Pain?
According to studies, the common risk factors for knee pain are aging, injuries, strain at the joints, and being overweight. To further classify the reasons for knee pain, here are some of the common culprits:
- Repetitive strain injuries
- Injuries caused by trauma
- Chronic injuries
- Rheumatoid arthritis
The common types of inflammation and injuries impacting the knee include:
- Meniscus tears
- Sprained knee ligaments
Out of the above, injuries caused by repetitive strain, or even chronic pain, can be reduced if you strengthen your knees. Stronger knees can also relieve arthritis pain to a significant extent.
How to Strengthen Your Knees?
Strengthening your knees is the best way to prevent hip and knee pain as you grow older. For this, you should incorporate bone-strengthening nutrients like calcium and vitamin D in your diet. Milk and dairy products are excellent sources of calcium, whereas fatty fish and egg yolk are great sources of vitamin D.
Furthermore, strengthening exercises like walking, cycling, and squats can help you improve your knee strength. Lastly, avoid motions or activities that exert unnecessary strain on the knees. After all, prevention is better than cure!
7 Ways to Treat and Reduce Knee Pain Without Surgery
- Stretching – It may sound too simple, but stretching is an effective way to reduce hip and knee pain. Lower body stretches can improve the motion and flexibility of the knee joint, thereby relieving joint pain.
Experts recommend hamstring stretches, heel and calf stretches, and quadriceps stretches to reduce knee pain. Always warm up your body for 5-10 minutes before stretching for the best results.
- Knee Strengthening Exercises – Studies suggest strengthening exercises have a significant role to play in reducing knee pain. Exercises that focus on the quadriceps, hips, and calf muscles can relieve your knee pain. Some of the exercises you can try are calf raises, leg raises, squats, and hamstring curls. Additionally, Yoga, Tai Chi, and swimming can also strengthen your knees and reduce joint pain.
- Weight Loss – Losing excess weight is an effective way to reduce hip and knee pain. The excess weight adds strain to the load-bearing joints, leading to faster wear and tear as well as strain injuries. Try to maintain a healthy weight by consuming a low-calorie diet and exercising daily. This will ensure excellent joint health for you in the long run.
- RICE – RICE, or rest, ice, compression, and elevation can provide immediate relief from knee pain. In this technique, you should avoid applying any weight on your knees and rest them as much as possible. Ice the knees 3-4 times a day for 20 minutes and keep them compressed all day with a bandage. Lastly, elevate them with some pillows for faster healing and pain relief.
- Physiotherapy –If at-home exercises are not helping you enough, it might be beneficial to sign up for physiotherapy. A physiotherapist can work on reducing your knee pain with a combination of exercises and devices. They can help you develop knee strength to relieve arthritis pain or pain from knee injuries. Look for someone with experience and good reviews to receive the best physiotherapy.
- Massage – Regular massages may help in relieving joint pain to some extent. Various cultures have been following the practice of joint massages to relieve knee pain at home for ages. Some of these home remedies also encourage using herbal oils for knee massages since herbs can help reduce inflammation and pain.
Therefore, you can try massaging your knees once a day to get instant pain relief. Pair these massages with top-rated joint pain supplements to further encourage your joint health.
- Pain Medication – Sometimes, knee pain can be unbearable, and you may need pain medications for instant relief. You can ask your doctor to prescribe medications for this scenario. However, this is not a long-term solution, and you should focus on strengthening your knees with exercise and nutrition to eliminate the pain.
Can Joint Supplements Cure Knee Pain?
Joint supplements supply the body with essential nutrients that improve bone strength. OsteoMD is one such joint supplement that contains patented ingredients like Calzbone and MenaQ7 to strengthen and heal the bones. It also contains calcium and vitamin D, which are must-have nutrients for bones health. OsteoMD reviews by consumers are fairly positive and state that this supplement reduced joint discomfort and improved bone health with regular use. This joint pain supplement may help you reduce your knee pain, providing ease.
Knee pain is a common problem that creeps up on adults, especially athletes, active people, or those with physically strenuous jobs. However, with the appropriate prevention and treatment, you can minimize your knee pain and improve your joint strength. The right exercises can be your best friend on your road to recovery, and a healthy diet can further enhance your bone strength.
Furthermore, consuming a calcium supplement that includes bone-friendly vitamins can reduce knee issues to a large extent. According to OsteoMD reviews, this supplement may decrease joint discomfort and improve your bone health with the help of targeted nutrients. So, it will help you achieve healthy and flexible joints.
With these effective tips to reduce and manage knee pain, you can live your life without any restriction in movements! So, start paying attention to your joint health today to avoid any complications in the future.