Dr. Sareh Rajaee at Metro Vein Centers Offers Tips To Avoid Vein Problems
Unsightly vein problems are common, particularly as you age. You may begin to notice raised, twisted veins or vein patterns on the surface skin. These are signs that the valves that control blood flow are beginning to weaken. At Metro Vein Center, we offer a number of treatments to eliminate varicose and spider veins.
Understanding the Causes of Varicose and Spider Veins
Varicose and spider veins occur when the valves that open and close to allow blood flow become weakened or damaged. Veins can develop problems because of hereditary factors, from hormonal fluctuations or from simple aging. Obesity can increase your risk for vein problems.
Symptoms of Varicose and Spider Veins
You can tell you’re beginning to have vein problems when you notice thickening or bulging of large veins on the legs or blue or purple discoloration on the skin. Spider veins are a milder form of varicose vein. These veins appear as fine, reddish lines like a spider web. Vein problems can cause aching, pressure and fatigue in your legs. Throbbing and itching of the skin can occur. In severe cases, lesions open up on the surface skin.
Tips For Preventing Vein Problems
Although you cannot control all the factors that lead to vein problems, you can take a few steps to minimize the risk of developing varicose and spider veins.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise helps to improve blood circulation throughout the lower body and reduces the risk for vein issues.
- Keep your weight within normal range. Excess pounds put additional stress on blood vessels. If you need help finding a workable diet for daily life, talk to your doctor for suggestions or discuss your needs with a dietician.
- Avoid long periods of sitting or standing. If you sit for your job, take breaks throughout the day to move around. Walk to a co-workers desk, instead of emailing a message. Use your lunch period to take a brisk walk. Remember to stretch your legs throughout the day. Similarly, if you must stand for your work, take every opportunity to walk around or sit down for a short period.
- Elevate your legs whenever possible. Keep an ottoman on hand to raise your lower legs while you are watching TV to reduce the pressure on veins.
- Avoid constricting clothing. Tight elastic waistbands or constriction around the thighs or groin can increase pressure on veins. Choose looser, adjustable clothing and avoid wearing high heels.
- Wear compression stockings when you are on your feet or when you travel. These elasticized stockings can help to reduce discomfort and make your legs feel more energized.
Although you cannot prevent all the causes of varicose veins and spider veins, you can implement choices that reduce your risk. These tips will help you to maintain healthier veins and can help to reduce the unsightly vein problems that often occur. If you are troubled with unsightly problem veins, call our vein center to learn about a range of treatments that can help you look and feel better.